Monday, January 13, 2014

a big God for little people

Over the past few weeks I have really been working on my relationship with God -- really, it is a journey I have always been on. At times, though, I find myself so consumed with the little things that I don't have time make time to recognize and thank God for his overwhelming presence in my life. 


photo credit
This past advent, I found a 25-day Bible study using The Bible app (let's be honest -- technology can motivate me to do about anything!). On day four, the scripture was Luke 2:1-5. It was portion of Jesus' story where Mary and Joseph were called by decree to travel to the city of David. Now, I have heard this story many times growing up but, after reading this devotional, my perspective has greatly changed. The devotional called me to acknowledge God's plan over every aspect of our lives -- as little as they may be.
Have you ever felt, like me, little and insignificant in a world of seven billion people, where all the news is of big political and economic and social movements and of outstanding people with lots of power and prestige? 
If you have, don't let that make you disheartened or unhappy. For it is implicit in Scripture that all the mammoth political forces and all the giant industrial complexes, without their even knowing it, are being guided by God, not for their own sake but for the sake of God's little people -- the little Mary and the little Joseph who have to get from Nazareth to Bethlehem.  
He is a big God for little people, and we have great cause to rejoice that, unbeknownst to them, all the kids and presidents and premiers and chancellors of the world follow the sovereign decrees of our Father in heaven, that we, the children, might be conformed to the image of his son, Jesus Christ. 
It can be overwhelming to consider how vast the world of seven billion people is -- at times I can feel so little and insignificant. But I am trying to take comfort in God's presence in my life. He is truly a big God for little people -- he cares about each and everyone of us and His work is so present in everything we do. 

It feels like getting married this past year has only created more uncertainty -- not less. It is an amazing feeling to have my husband by my side through all the upcoming changes, but the worrier in me always seems to creep out. This year, I am going to be intentional in continuing my journey in thanking God for his presence and continuing to serve Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment